Fire Tech Camp was a great experience and the best camp I've ever been to. I think the camp does a great job in combining fun with learning.Emma, 13yr old programmer
Video Game Design - Virtual Work Experiencereset
In this course picker times will be displayed in timezone chosen above but all times shown elsewhere will reflect the UK Times these events take place.
Video Game Design – Virtual Work Experience
Discover what it’s like to work for a videogame studio, tackling realistic, industry-specific projects and working directly online with your own human “boss”. Finish with a complete skills report and a virtual work experience reference.
Real live human boss
Your new boss will mentor you through the programme, ensuring you have a great experience and reach your personal goals
Tackle projects that are approved by the videogame industry. These are realistic representations of some of the awesome tasks people in the videogame industry get to work on every day.
Work in different fields
Discover the range of disciplines that lie behind the process of making an incredible videogame, from coding, to design, to art, to data science and more
My daughter has only worked on Apple Mac and iPads and not on Windows based PCs. Is this an issue?
Discover what it’s like to work for a video game design studio, tackling realistic, industry-specific projects and working directly online with your own human “boss”. Finish with a complete skills report and a virtual work experience reference.
1. Friendly induction
- Meet your real live human boss online
- Learn how Virtual Work Experience works
- Select your first, industry-specific, tech projects
- When: 30 minutes, at a time to suit
2. Real tech projects
- Project briefs based on real tech industry requirements
- Resources and work tools exactly as used by the industry
- Work at your own pace, typically 4-6 hours a week for 5 weeks
- Access to the dedicated FireTech training suite on LearnWorlds as required
- Like to try something else? Change “jobs” at any point
3. Regular online team meetings
- Get lots of brilliant help and support
- Celebrate your successes
- Ongoing E-mail and chat support
- All meetings and communications are recorded and archived for safety
- When: 1 hour, weekly
4. Finish with a flourish!
- Collect your skills report and portfolio
- Virtual Work Experience Reference
- Enjoy your virtual leaving party!
See the typical Work Programme here.
What your child will learn
- Skills like 3D modelling, programming, digital media production, in the context of a virtual work project
- To receive feedback from a virtual “boss” or team leader
- To work effectively and communicate in virtual team meetings
- To use the same tools as are used in the videogame industry to conceptualise, develop and implement projects
- Develop general digital fluency in using business productivity tools
- Skills report that they can share on platforms like LinkedIn, college applications, or to future employers.
- Project-based learning, with a human touch. All students will have human feedback, delivered remotely
- Critical work skills that students may not get enough of in school: digital skills, productivity tools, plus in-depth skills in creative and technical areas
Video Game Design – Virtual Work Experience FAQs
Sean studies Design Engineering at Imperial College London but you'll often find him buzzing around camp teaching our Video Game Design courses. He loves seeing campers push through challenges and publish a game to show their friends and family.View Game Development Courses >>