Fire Tech Camp was a great experience and the best camp I've ever been to. I think the camp does a great job in combining fun with learning.Emma, 13yr old programmer
Virtual Work Experience – Video Game Design
Virtual Work Experience in Video Game Design
NEW! If you’ve ever considered working in the video game industry, this is the programme for you. Learn more about the industry and discover what it would be like to work for a virtual indie video game design studio, directly online with your own human “boss”.
Virtual Work Experience – Video Game Design
For online courses: these require you to have a capable computer to work on and a broadband internet connection. Most PC/Mac computers from the last 5 years will be fine but you can view our recommended detailed system requirements here. For on campus courses: laptops are provided for all junior courses, as well as Music, Unity, Creative Design & YouTube senior courses. Laptop rental is available for all other senior courses (£50 extra).
Real live human boss
Your new boss will mentor you through the programme, ensuring you have a great experience and reach your personal goals
Our indie game projects give you a chance to start a game design portfolio, showing that you understand the process of game design and can apply those skills in a team environment
Work in different fields
Discover the range of disciplines that lie behind the process of making an incredible videogame, from coding, to design, to art, to data science and more
My child has only worked on Apple Mac and iPads and not on Windows based PCs. Is this an issue?
The Adobe software used on this course is the same on Apple Mac and Windows PC so there shouldn't be any issue. We deliver this course on PC or Mac depending on availability of hardware. The projects …
The Adobe software used on this course is the same on Apple Mac and Windows PC so there shouldn't be any issue. We deliver this course on PC or Mac depending on availability of hardware. The projects being worked on would be more complex than what could likely be done on iPads though.
If you’ve ever considered working in the video game industry, this is the programme for you. Learn more about the industry and discover what it would be like to work for a virtual indie video game design studio, tackling projects – such as prototyping games, adapting to feedback and pitching your ideas – and working directly online with your own human “boss”. This is your opportunity to be part of our Video Game Design Team and work alongside live teammates to build a video game you can put on your portfolio. Finish with a complete skills report and a virtual work experience reference.
The gap between what young people need to be able to deliver in the world of work, and what they are taught at school is growing wider, especially around digital skills. At the same time it is becoming more difficult for companies – and in particular tech companies which are increasingly the engine of our economy – to host work experiences.
We are working with our network of experts to develop virtual work experiences for young people. Our virtual work experiences are designed to provide you with a fascinating introduction to the industry and the types of job you can have, and to workshop realistic video game projects as a team in the same way a video game studio would do. At the end of the work experience, you will receive valuable industry knowledge and personal feedback with a skills report and reference.
Here’s how our Virtual Work Experience works…
1. Friendly introduction
- Learn about the video game industry
- Learn how Virtual Work Experience works
- Meet your real live human boss online
2. Real tech projects
- Project briefs based on real tech industry requirements
- Practice some of the different jobs you can do in the video game industry
- Resources and work tools as used by the industry
- Access to the dedicated FireTech training suite on LearnWorlds as required
3. Online team meetings
- Get lots of brilliant help and support
- Celebrate your successes
- Ongoing support as you work
- All sessions and communications are recorded and archived for safety
4. Finish with a flourish!
- Collect your skills report and portfolio
- Virtual Work Experience Reference
- Enjoy your virtual leaving party!
The programme runs either in holiday time (5 days) or after school (5 weeks). Either way, you can expect to spend 20 – 25 hours on your virtual work experience, split between briefings with your boss, team meetings and project work. There are 5 phases of work…
1. Training / 1:1
2. Research / Ideate
3. Create / Build
4. Test / Build
5. Present / Q&A
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements?
+ Participants must be aged between 15 and 19 years old
+ The programme is run online with live meetings, so a good Internet connection and laptop with webcam is required
+ This programme requires a good level of interest in video gaming and how video games are made and published
What are the benefits?
It is expected that participants will receive career path tools and guidance, appreciation of the fundamentals of the games design process, experience of working with a live team, training on soft and hard skills. A live boss acts as mentor to ensure your goals are achieved and that you develop a good range of industry skills.
Do I need to prepare anything?
It is not necessary to prepare in advance, however, preparation by exploring Construct 3 and Piksel would be ideal.
What your child will learn
- To receive feedback from a virtual “boss” or team leader
- To work effectively and communicate in virtual team meetings
- To use the same tools as are used in the videogame industry to conceptualise, develop and implement projects
- Develop general digital fluency in using business productivity tools
- Skills report that they can share on platforms like LinkedIn, college applications, or to future employers
- Project-based learning, with a human touch. All students will have human feedback, delivered remotely
- Critical work skills that students may not get enough of in school: digital skills, productivity tools, plus in-depth skills in creative and technical areas