"I learnt so much and the course has definitely made me consider studying computer science and coding in the future."Aaniya, Teen student
NEW! Meet Java, the language that powers Android phones and the world’s best selling video game, Minecraft. Challenging, interactive and lots of fun, students will be taught key Java programming concepts and how to apply them in exciting ways.
Teen Coding with Java – On Campus
For online courses: these require you to have a capable computer to work on and a broadband internet connection. Most PC/Mac computers from the last 5 years will be fine but you can view our recommended detailed system requirements here. For on campus courses: laptops are provided for all junior courses, as well as Music, Unity, Creative Design & YouTube senior courses. Laptop rental is available for all other senior courses (£50 extra).
_Pick your start date
Teen Coding with Java - On Campus
This product is currently out of stock and unavailable.jQuery('#hs_formcontainer').html(show_unavailable_product_request_form());
Learn world-changing skills
This beginner’s course gives bright young minds a head-start on one of the world’s most used programming languages.
Who this course is for
This is the perfect beginner's course for teens who have experienced some text based coding, but want to take a deep dive into a new language.
Fun learning environment
Level up your learning by learning to program in Java. Let your new Java skills be the beginning of a world of problem-solving and creativity. Our code-along tutors will support you every step of the way.
On this course, teens aged 13-17 will be introduced to Java, the language that powers Android phones, enabled Uber and AirBnB to disrupt their relevant markets and allowed Mojang to create the world’s best selling video game with Minecraft.
Led by our code-loving instructors, students will be taught key programming concepts and how to apply them in exciting ways. They will start by learning how to use Java as a general purpose tool to solve maths and other problems, discover the role of Java in the multi-billion-dollar tech industry and along the way learn the skills they need to build their own projects at home.
Using industry standard tools, students will learn how to set up their own projects and develop them further independently.
Students will be introduced to the concepts of Object Oriented Programming through Classes and Objects, ideas which have underpinned virtually all major programming projects for the last 30+ years. These concepts are also fundamental to the way that Java as a language functions.
Challenging, interactive and lots of fun, this course does more than just teach the fundamentals. It unlocks the world of programming for young people – and sparks the interest that makes them want to keep on exploring it.
If they want to keep building their programming knowledge, they could move on to our Teen Python courses, or delve into the cutting edge world of Machine Learning with our Senior Adventures in Artificial Intelligence course.
What your child will learn
- Using industry standard tools, students will learn how to set up their own projects and develop them further independently.
- Students will be introduced to the concepts of Object Oriented Programming through Classes and Objects, ideas which have underpinned virtually all major programming projects for the last 30+ years. These concepts are also fundamental to the way that Java as a language functions.
- Assuming no prior knowledge students will be introduced to key programming concepts that can be applied to most coding languages.
- How to use Java, an in-demand, text-based programming language, to create their own projects.
- The soft skills and confidence they need to create, reiterate and problem solve with their new friends.
- How to use Java to solve complex problems in complex ways.
Typical daily schedule
Stand ups and finish