Become a part of the Maker Movement by using Minecraft! In this course you will make your own world, blocks and structures, and even experiment with different materials to create physical game controllers. As a Minecraft Maker at Fire Tech Camp, you will be thrown into an intensive mix of creativity, gaming and engineering and come out of it with an impressive command of important computing concepts, practical making skills, and an enhanced understanding of how to expand and enjoy your Minecraft universe. This camp is ideal for junior makers aged 9-12.
What students will learn
- Learn the basis of gameplay in Minecraft
- Create a 3D world using third party tools
- Customise blocks using skins, attributes and behaviours
- Create in-game electronics circuits with Redstone
- Build and importing complex structures with MCEdit
- Design and build a physical games controller with a Makey Makey electronics kits
This is an engaging course for 9-12 year olds that will get them building, designing, coding, and making, all using the Minecraft “sandbox”.
Minecraft is an incredibly popular block building game, the second most-downloaded game of all time. Through this course students can gain experience in core computing concepts such as Computer Aided Design, conditions, loops, and iteration.
Off the screen, students will have the opportunity to explore physical design and electronics by making their own Mini Minecraft controller using a Makey Makey electronics kit. We have explored more of the educational and computing benefits of Minecraft in our blogpost on The Benefits of Learning with Minecraft.
"It is one of the best camps I have been to and I wanted to come back every day."Charlie, Young Minecraft Enthusiast
What will students take home
- Original worlds and maps that they create themselves
- Schemas for buildings that they create themselves or download to use in their worlds
Who is this course suitable for?
No prior experience is required but their are some prerequisites for attending this course:
- Must be between age 9 and 12 at start of course
* Outdoor activities dependent on location and weather. ** some software only available as trial. We arrange a discounted rate with the publishers for our campers when possible.