"All the staff were amazing and really helpful. This course really boosted my confidence with computers and video game design. It was really fun and I made a lot of friends I'll be sorry to say goodbye to. Writing the coding was even more fun than playing the games."Christina, Age 10
Junior Scratch Coder - Part Timereset
In this course picker times will be displayed in timezone chosen above but all times shown elsewhere will reflect the UK Times these events take place.
Junior Scratch Coder – Part Time
Explore the basics of computer programming and program design by building some amazing projects each day!
Learn the fundamentals of programming
Start coding from Day One and learn how to share and collaborate on projects. We believe that the skills to work with others are just as important as the technical aspects of programming.
Create multiple game types
Design and control sprites and apply automations. You can make multiple levels and apply your own scoreboard. Customise your game. The only limits are your imagination!
With the help of our expert Scratch tutors, create something new or expand on a previous project and share it with the world! Whether you're new to programming or want to enhance your skills, this is the perfect choice.
What are the course instructors like?
Lead Teachers have a strong background in education coupled with technical expertise in the area they teach. They are supported by Camp Instructors, who are most frequently talented Computer Science …
Lead Teachers have a strong background in education coupled with technical expertise in the area they teach. They are supported by Camp Instructors, who are most frequently talented Computer Science and Engineering students. All our instructors undergo in-person training from the Fire Tech team in the curriculum of the course they are teaching, in the Fire Tech mission and values, and in our Child Safety Policies. We select our instructors on technical expertise but also for great communication skills and a real passion for their subject.
Developed by MIT, Scratch is one of the go-to languages for learning computer programming.
Its block based interface is intuitive and easy to use. In this exciting and creative course, we explore the basics of computer programming as well as program design by building some amazing projects each day.
Every student will get hands on with coding from Day One and learn how to share and collaborate on projects with their peers. We believe that the skills to communicate and work with others are just as important as the technical aspects of programming and that’s how great apps and computer programs are made.
- + Learn the fundamentals of programming with Scratch, with program flow, inputs and outputs
- + Build a maze and racing game, using sprite interaction, control and automation
- + Create a complex platformer with multiple levels, power ups and a scoreboard
- + Create a virtual character with camera interactions, text and audio
- + Get creative – make something new and original, or expand on a previous project, and share it with the world!
This course is perfect for those who are looking for a new creative outlet, starting out on their coding journey or those who want to take their Scratch skills to the next level.
As this course is designed for younger learners, parents are welcome to join the sessions too, to help with focus and any minor technical issues.
What your child will learn
- Learn about program flow, inputs and outputs, sprites, animations and variables
- Mastery of sprite interaction, control and automation
- How to make a platformer with multiple levels with players lives and continually updating scoreboard
- Create a virtual character with camera interactions, text and audio interactions, and learn about arrays
- How to share and collaborate on projects with peers, which is as important as the technical aspects of programming
Junior Scratch Coder – Part Time FAQs
Leszek studies Electronic and Information Engineering at Imperial College London and teaches our coding courses. He loves using his STEM skills to bring people together and recently created an Imperial college fantasy football app that connects 200 players together.View Coding Courses >>