"I learnt so much and the course has definitely made me consider studying computer science and coding in the future."Aaniya, Teen student
Participants will invent and code their own gadgets using breadboards to connect sensors, lights, conductive materials, motors and more!
Arduino is where electronics and computer programming meet. Using this microprocessor and coding language, students create exciting devices with sensors and outputs to interact with the world around them! This course teaches the basics of “physical computing” to teenagers aged 12+.
Students use breadboards and electronic components, plus to C-based Arduino language to program their Arduino microcontroller to read inputs and produce outputs. If that all sounds a bit technical, it’s because it is! But Arduino was developed with hobbyists and newcomers in mind, so it’s also extremely accessible. Teen campers will soon find themselves controlling LED flashing lights, switches, sounds, buttons, vibrations and even robots, all with the help of their Arduino microcontroller! Arduinos are provided for use during the course, but many students prefer to buy an Arduino separately so that they can take their creations with them for continued development at the end of the course.
What students will learn
The workshop will use Arduino microprocessors as a base, and participants will have a chance to invent and code their own gadgets using sensors, motors and breadboards. As with all Fire Tech courses, we encourage original thinking through project-based work and, in the case of Arduino, campers are really only limited by their imagination!
- Introduction: The programming environment, the language used and blinking LEDs
- Actuators: Simple digital toggles, transistor-based switches and pulse width modulation
- Sensors: Analogue and digital
- Communication: Wired and wireless communication between devices and computers
- Programming: Using Arduino’s C-based programming language write sketches to upload to the Arduino
- Enhanced coding and creation skills to build hardware
What will students take home
- Certificate with personal tutor feedback
- Fire Tech T-Shirt
Who is this course suitable for?
No prior experience is required but there are some prerequisites for attending this course:
- Must be between age 12 and 17 at start of course
- Must bring own laptop (or rent one from us)
* Outdoor activities dependent on location and weather. ** some software only available as trial. We arrange a discounted rate with the publishers for our campers when possible.