"All the staff were amazing and really helpful. This course really boosted my confidence with computers and video game design. It was really fun and I made a lot of friends I'll be sorry to say goodbye to. Writing the coding was even more fun than playing the games."Christina, Age 10
Turn your enthusiasm for gaming into real-world tech skills! This course will provide you with the tools to create your own video games to play on the web or your smartphone.
Game Design Club
Put your gaming experience and imagination into action, ending up with an original creation that you can take home, play and show to family and friends. This is a class for all abilities and ages. The fundamentals covered in Video Game Design are a great first step into the world of coding. Students are introduced to object-oriented programming, and a behaviour-based logic system – applying behaviours and attributions, testing, debugging and fine-tuning products – that comprises a core component of computer science and is familiar to any programmer. Our small group sizes with close guidance from tutors mean that students can move at the pace that best suits them while developing their games. This is a rich course and one of our most popular, and many kids take it more than once to take their skills even further. We use Construct 2 ® to develop games that you can play on any platform. It is free software, which means you can download it at home to keep your games developing alive after Fire Tech Camp is finished! Construct 2 ® makes it easy to get started, work with an impressive library of behaviours and attributes, and produce some great-looking final products.
See where is your closest club:
Abingdon School Greening Court from 1.30pm to 3.30pm
On the following Saturdays: 11 Jan, 18 Jan, 25 Jan , 1 Feb, 8 Feb
OR: 29 Feb, 7 Mar, 14 Mar, 21 Mar, 28 Mar
A laptop will be required for the club, thank you for bringing your own device. A laptop rental from us can be arranged for an additional fee.
Mac laptops, Pi-top laptops and Chrome Book are not suitable for this club.
What students will learn
- Telling A Story: storyboarding and structuring your game
- Platform Basics: using the Construct 2 environment
- Graphics: graphic design and animation basics for your characters
- Control: applying behaviours and attributes to characters
- Testing: testing, de-bugging, perfecting your program
What will students take home
- Certificate with personal tutor feedback
- Fire Tech T-Shirt
- New Skills
Who is this course suitable for?
No prior experience is required but there are some prerequisites for attending this course:
- Must be between age 7 and 12 at start of course
- Must bring own laptop (or rent one from us)
* Outdoor activities dependent on location and weather. ** some software only available as trial. We arrange a discounted rate with the publishers for our campers when possible.