"It is one of the best camps I have been to and I wanted to come back every day."Charlie, Young Minecraft Enthusiast
Master key computing concepts and coding basics. Students will use Java and the Greenfoot library to learn computer science theory, syntax, and object-oriented coding.
Teen Java Club
Get familiar with Java using the Greenfoot platform, developed at the University of Kent. Greenfoot makes coding interactive, easy and fun. Known as an “integrated development environment” (IDE), it supports the creation of 2D graphical games and simulations. Our goal is for each participant to feel confident with coding, as they learn and practice the basics of Java programming and cover coding concepts such as variables, functions and classes. This course is a subset of our week-long Coding Games with Java course.
This is an excellent first coding course for teens aged 12+ and no previous programming knowledge is required.
What students will learn
- Students will use Java and the Greenfoot library to learn computer science theory, syntax, and object oriented coding basics.
- The fundamentals of game design: stories, characters, settings, attributions
- Key terms and concepts within the Java programming language
- Familiarity with the Greenfoot environment
- Confidence in creating and implementing code
- Testing and debugging
- Tools and resources to take coding further through independent learning
What will students take home
- All assets created in the course of the class
- Fire Tech T-Shirt
- Students who bring their own laptops will take home Java and Greenfoot environments installed to work on their computers
- USB Stick
Who is this course suitable for?
No prior experience is required but there are some prerequisites for attending this course:
- Must be between age 12 and 17 at start of course
- Must bring own laptop (or rent one from us)
* Outdoor activities dependent on location and weather. ** some software only available as trial. We arrange a discounted rate with the publishers for our campers when possible.