"It is one of the best camps I have been to and I wanted to come back every day."Charlie, Young Minecraft Enthusiast
Work together in small teams to master our VEX IQ robotics challenges while learning to code in the C-based programming language ROBOTC.
#allGirls: Robotics with VEX IQ
Changing the future. Making things possible. Unlocking new opportunities. These things are at the heart of technology – and our All Girls Robotics course.
On this course, brand new for 2019, girls aged 12 to 17 can discover the world of robotics in an #AllGirls environment: learning to code in ROBOTC, working collaboratively to tackle robotic challenges and putting their robotic designs to the test against other teams.
Working under the close guidance of our female instructors, teams will design, implement, test and refine their robotic solutions, programming a graphical user-interface before progressing onto the syntax-based language ROBOTC, and using VEX IQ – a leading educational robotics platform that combines snap-together construction with sophisticated coding – to deliver a final product that’s competition ready.
On this course, creativity, programming and problem-solving meet in a thrilling arena that lets young girls get hands-on with coding and engineering.
Whether you want to build for Boston Dynamics, lead the way in machine learning research or launch your own AI startup, this Fire Tech course will open the door to opportunity for you.
Girls make up 28% of students at Fire Tech, which is twice the national average – but not high enough. Lots of girls love creating with tech, and we know even more would love it if they had the chance. But, sometimes, teens are concerned they might be the only girl in their class. That’s why we’re offering all-girl classes, usually led by a young, female instructor – so all girls can work, play and be inspired by tech, in an environment that supports and encourages them.
An #allGirls class, so that #allGirls feel welcome.
What students will learn
- Mechanical and engineering design
- Structural and construction properties
- Working within design constraints and parameters
- Working with motors and sensors for automation
- Programming with ROBOTC, a C-based programming language designed for educational robotics and competitions
- The product design lifecycle
- Teamwork and collaboration skills
What will students take home
- Certificate with personal tutor feedback
- Fire Tech T-Shirt
Who is this course suitable for?
No prior experience is required but there are some prerequisites for attending this course:
- Must be between age 12 and 17 at start of course
* Outdoor activities dependent on location and weather. ** some software only available as trial. We arrange a discounted rate with the publishers for our campers when possible.