Unity is a game engine and powerful development platform for creating 3D and 2D games. It can create games for desktop, mobile devices and even consoles. It is used by professionals to create many popular games such as Crossy Road, Monument Valley and Hearthstone. The software is free and so students can continue to use it at home after the camp.
What skills will be taught?
In addition to learning to use the Unity development platform itself the course will give students experience with programming logic, game design, 3D modelling, animation techniques and more.
3D Game Development with Unity
What will the course cover?
An introduction to Game Design Techniques and the role of Game Engines. Followed by a hands-on course working with the Unity tool and Fire Tech Camp-provided assets.
The course will cover :
- Working in 3D
- Importing and modifying assets
- Moving and animating the player
- programme with rules and behaviours to create a simple AI
- camera and lighting control
- create scoreboard and assign points for actions
- create a win/fail event to end the game
- add background music and sound effects
- add image effects and textures
- Exporting in different formats and publishing online.
"All the staff were amazing and really helpful. This course really boosted my confidence with computers and video game design. It was really fun and I made a lot of friends I'll be sorry to say goodbye to. Writing the coding was even more fun than playing the games."Christina, Age 10
What will students take home
- Certificate with personal tutor feedback
- Copy of the assets used to create the games
- Fire Tech Camp T-Shirt
Who is this course suitable for?
No prior experience is required but their are some prerequisites for attending this course:
- Must be between age 14 and 17 at start of course
- Must bring own laptop (or rent one from us)
* Outdoor activities dependent on location and weather. ** some software only available as trial. We arrange a discounted rate with the publishers for our campers when possible.